If you're anything like us, you wash your white socks without thinking twice. But what is it that makes your white socks stay clean and fresh-looking? For starters, there's definitely a lifestyle component to this question. If you reside in a humid climate with high levels of outdoor exposure, it's important to keep up on regular washing in order to avoid the sock turning brown. For the rest of us, laundry detergents have gotten pretty sophisticated over the years, and there are some options that help maintain whiter-than-white socks.
So, how do you maintain a white sock? First, you should be aware of the different levels of performance that are available in laundry detergents. The following are some of the most important things to look for:
The first thing to watch out for is the amount of oxygen bleach that is used in any given product. Oxygen bleach can disrupt your white socks' natural adhesiveness, which could cause noticeable color loss within a short period of time. It's important to always check the amount of oxygen bleach used by any given laundry detergent.
Look for ingredients with bleach alternatives (aka optical brighteners) and avoid products containing chlorine bleach. Chlorine bleach is much stronger than optical whiteners, and can cause fading, damage, and yellowing on whites.
The second thing to watch out for is the fabric softener that is used in any given laundry detergent. Many fabric softeners can actually leave residue on the fibers of white socks that can cause yellowing over a period of time. Your best bet is to avoid products with fabric softener altogether. Also avoid products that contain optical brighteners and/or bleach as these ingredients will already cause yellowing on whites.
A good laundry detergent for whites must contain color-safe bleach and no optical brighteners or whiteners, as mentioned above. Never mix bleach and color-safe bleach in the same wash cycle, as this can cause severe damage to white socks. Instead, purchase a separate color-safe bleach product if you prefer to use a bleach-based laundry detergent for whites.
It's also important to note that there are some detergents that are made specifically for white socks, but you can usually get the same results by using a regular cleaning agent as long as it has no fabric softener and no optical whiteners.
White socks are a wardrobe staple, especially during the summer months. Using the right products and washing them often, you can keep them looking as fresh and clean as they did when you first bought them.
Now that you learned how to maintain your white socks, let's talk about styling them.
How to style white socks?
- White socks are often worn to the office, and with their clean, fresh look they can be an eye-catcher. However, some of the most creative people have created ways to style them and make them interesting.
- White socks can be styled with various accessories. For example, they can be worn with a pair of black high heels, a short skirt or even a pair of tights.
- White socks can be paired with white shoes.
- White socks can be styled with various colored pants. For example, they can be paired with red pants or jeans. They can also be worn with black pants or any other color.
- White socks can also be worn with a plaid skirt or a pair of shorts.
- They can also be worn with a pair of boots.
- There are many accessories that can make white socks look fresh and new again, like a pair of high heels, or even sneakers. White socks paired with casual shoes give an elegant look. You can also wear them with dark colored tights, to create contrast between the sock and the tights.
- White socks can also be worn with a pair of sports shoes. For example, they can be worn with sneakers. This will make white socks look sporty and new again.
- They are usually worn with casual summer outfits like shorts, skirts, tee shirts or polo shirts. They can also be worn with various clothes like leggings or tights or even skinny jeans or dress pants.
So, as you can see, there are also a lot of different ways to wear and style it. You always need to start from somewhere so, here are some of the white socks that we have in our store.
8 Pairs Socks - Cotton - Colorful Extra Soft Sock
This 8 pack includes white socks that have a little bit of tennis socks vibes. Every sock inside it has stripes on top of it to give that extra pop when worn. Being made with cotton, they are extremely comfortable and worth a try.
6 Pairs Socks - Plain White Socks – Gift Ideas
This 6 pack, different from the one above, includes all whites with no stripes. If you want to go for a style like this, plain and simple but good-looking, then this is the one for you. They are also made with cotton and extremely comfortable.
So, there you have it. Let's maintain our white socks and keep them at the best possible condition as we can to wear it more often. Thanks for reading. See you on the next one.